Monday, January 12, 2009

Over the weekend

This weekend was fabulous. Yeah, I had a miserable cold for most of the weekend, had trouble sleeping, had a very bad throat most of the time , it was freezing outside and I did not venture out at all. Still, the weekend kicked ass because,

1. I finished all five books of Codex Alera by Jim Butcher(Yup, 5 books in 3 days. No, this guy is no Steven Erikson). It is traditional epic fantasy. There is nothing new in terms of story lines and the character building is pedestrian, but, well, you don't read Fantasy for it's innovations in story telling or its literary merit. In terms of pure escapism, this series scores very high. Loads of fun!

2. I saw reruns of Psych. I find this show really funny. It's really surprising how much comedy has evolved here and in Britain(Coupling), whereas in the mainstream Indian media it's still driven by slapstick. This is not to say that the comedy in the US is all intelligent and incisive. It's not. Most of it is bad. But, there are shows like the Daily Show and Southpark which really kick ass. Also, I must say that some of the plays that I saw in Mumbai were really really good. Oh, and Crazy Mohan, is world class...... So is S. Ve. Shekar. But, by and large we suck........

3. I had fabulous Pizzas from Pizza Hut. Yeah, I completely freaked out when I realized I was loading up on calories for about five minutes, after which I decided it was totally worth it. :(

4. I thought really hard about going to the GYM. Although I did not actually go, I believe this is a major step forward. Small steps, friend, small steps

5. I saw Harini Athai on webcam. Although, we have spoken off and on over the phone, It was great to catch a glimpse of Athai(after years and years) and my youngest cousin(For the first time. Although, I was disappointed that she refused to sing!)

6. I saw the first five minutes of Kismat Konnection. It's on this list because, I did not watch the movie beyond the five minutes. Yeah, the movie is that bad!

7. I had Unniyappam. No, I did not make it. It was ready-to-eat.

No comments:

Maps